So in Bulgarian culture there is what is called na gosti, which simply means guest. You go to someones house as their guest. There is also what is called a name day in Bulgaria. On a given day, people who have the same name as someone famous/historical in Bulgarian culture celebrate. And usually they bring in chocolates to work or have a dinner or small get together depending on the person. So for example, lets use Abraham Lincoln (so random). Lets say January 9th is the day of Abraham Lincoln. All of the people in the US who have a name stemming from Abraham (Abraham, or Abrahama, I just made that up) would all celebrate.
Ok. There is a lady at my job who celebrated her name day yesterday and invited me na gosti (as her guest) at her house. Now these usually last for hours (no exaggeration). There is food, booze, dancing, laughing, talking and this lasts for hours. So I went to her house about 6:30. And the food was awesome. There was something like appetizers there which was some salad, wine, bread, salami and cheese. Then came dish #1, cabbage and lamb. Then dish #2, potatoes and meatballs, then to finish up, was desert, more wine, and whatever was left in the table from the appetizers.
Her family of about 7-8 people were there, plus me. We ate and of course they asked me various questions about myself, my family, NY, my life in Bulgaria, and if I like it here. All was pretty ok, til the lady's husband decided to give me a history lesson on Bulgaria. And I mean from like when the fuckin folks from China and the Bulgars first got to the land now considered Bulgaria is what he was tryna explain to me. After I while, I not only stopped trying to listen and understand, I tried everything in my power to appear like I was intrigued. And you all know the drill, the occasional un huh, yeah yeah, oh really, I didn't know that, or my favorite, the head nod. Then I had to mix in some (in bulgarian of course) get out of here! what?! shut yo mouth, and no kiddin'
What I thought was absolutely hilarious was how this dude really was givin Bulgaria major props. And I understand patriotism, but this was a lil bit much. Talkin about the wonders of Bulgaria, and how once upon a time they ruled all the lands from the Black Sea to England. How current day Macedonia is really Bulgaria, and how the Turks are fooling themselves cuz they owe everything to Bulgaria, and how you can find small towns within Russia and Germany that speak Bulgarian and basically are Bulgarian. And there might be some truth to all these assertions, but homeboy was going hard. Like Bulgaria was the pinnacle of life in the whole of Europe once upon a time (and THAT I dont believe).
Then I was tellin them about Jonathan, and he basically was saying that Johnathan is the equivalent of Ivan, so Jonathan should have a name day too. Then that segued into Catholicism and Christianity and the history if both in Bulgaria, and I mean this dude just kept talking.
So we started dancing, and I noticed a CD case. It was titled "Black Hits" and had a picture of some guy that plays for the Celtics on the front.....hilarious.
But overall, the food was great and it felt good to do something other than go home after work and watch music videos. And the lady form my job really is a sweetheart so I figured I could just keep pretending I understood what they said for just a lil bit longer. And she gave me some baklava (dessert) to take home, so all was not lost!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hey i guess he was talkin bout this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Bulgaria_Simeon_I_(893-927).svg/300px-Bulgaria_Simeon_I_(893-927).svg.png
Post a Comment