So im gonna share the BEST year of my life since my wonderful birth, my time in JAPAN.
Altho overall Japan was fuckin amazing, it did have its ups and downs. Ill start from the beginning:
I was studying Japanese in HS and hated it. My jap teacher was a total bitch, on top of the fact that I had her class first period and was ALWAYS late. I failed japanese in 9th grade. But fortunately for me, that jap teacher left and there was someone new the next year. I decided that maybe I shouldnt be so lazy and actually think of how studyin jap might be good for me in the future. We had jap investors at my school who funded a free trip to jap every year and i assumed that cuz my grades were so bad and i had gotten into trouble a few times during 9th grade, I wouldnt qualify to go on the trip.
So I finally decided to apply during my junior year of hs and luckily I was chosen. I went to Tokyo for 9 days during the summer, and had the best time of my life. I KNEW I wanted to continue learning jap and decided that IF I went to college, it was compulsory for them to have a good jap program and study abroad there. I HAD to go back....
Im at OWU by now. I decided to apply for the Japan study program during my sophomore year and was so fuckin overjoyed when I got accepted (I think I still have the acceptance letter).I worked the entire summer to save money. My mom had a friend who lived there, so I went to Japan about 2 weeks early and stayed with her. We ate, drank and she took me sightseeing. I was hypnotized by the city.....
Enter school work here. The classes werent hard AT ALL. I mean they were fuckin easy to be honest. I disliked my jap teacher tho. As usual, out of about 40 people there was only me and one other black girl who was from the burbs. She was wack tho, so I dont even count her hahaha I became BFF with this gay dude (we atrract like maganets...hey JZ) and this girl names Malory. By the end of the first semester around X-mas time I had all a's and like 1 b.
It took me a while to get used to life in Tokyo. My host fam was ok, but they were always busy. I had 2 sis and 1 bro, and they were all older. But they went to school and worked, so it was usually just my host mom and I. She was extra sweet and we adored each other. But you know, some ol bullshit ALWAYS gotta go down.....
My laptop wouldnt play this movie I was DYIN to see, so I decided to watch it in the living room. It was on the weekend and it was already late, so I didnt think it would be a problem to watch it then go to bed. My host bro came to the kitchen to get something to drink and I guess I scared him. The next day my host mom knocked on my door and said to me that I was not allowed in the living alone. That I was welcome to go outside or stay in my room, but under any circumstances was I allowed in the living by myself. Now naturally I thought maybe I misunderstood, but then I said to myself, I know damn well what she said. I shrugged it off as being a weird Jap thing, but it honestly bothered me. I went ot my director at school and asked her about it, and she told me she never heard anything like that but she would call my host mom to see if I indeed heard correctly.
well wouldnt you know she called me into her office one day and sat me down. We had an american advisor come with us and teach at the university so she was there to. My advisor told me that I understood correctly. My host family gave me a list of house rules and thought they included that on the list, when they actually left it out. They didnt want me to steal anything valuable, so I was not allowed to be in the living room at all alone. When she told me that I broke down crying. I was so upset, disappointed, HURT, disgusted, sad, etc. We never resolved the issue. From them on I was so isolated and didnt EVER go into the living room. I went straight to my room after dinner and the fam barely saw me cuz my room dorr was always closed after that. I didnt to leave the fam and move somewhere else.......
Things got A LOT better after that! I started hanging out in clubs, workin a job, started dating someone, shopping more. I even stayed in a Buddhist temple with monks. But then I had to leave early becuz of some crazy Monk stalker (another story) who decided he fell in love with me (WTF?!?!). Oh then there was that time I was drunk and damn near passed out in the station. So many stories, so little time....hahahahaha
I came back to the statesm thinner, more feminine, humbled, and with just so much more experience under my belt. I fell in love with dresses, and showing off the natural curve of my body, shoes, make up, Raamen, sushi, designer handbags and a whole bunch of other superficial stuff. But also with a lot more knowledge and experience than I would ever have learned from a textbook!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment