Ive done this activity with PC and it was so fun, so I decided to do it with my students.
The idea of the activity is to build the highest free standing structure, only using tape and straws in 10 minutes. The structure cant be taped to the ground, and has to stand for at least 30 seconds. The team with the highest structure wins. Easy right....
I thought this would be a chill activity. It has that element of competition, and is relatively fun cuz you really have to think about how to get the structure to stand in the alotted time.
So I let the class choose their teams. MISTAKE. One group was talkin instead of competing. I also noticed that some of them were not interested. In one group about 3 of the girls just talked and watched the one girl try to create the structure. I had to remind them that it was a group effort and that they should be helping. I also noticed that there wasnt very much competition. I mean that drive that makes you want to do as much as possible in the time given and actually beat the other teams. Everyone seemed so calm and relaxed even when there was a prize at stake. When I did this activity, I remember my group was on it! WE jumped up out our chairs when we heard the signal to do so. We all helped and dialogued on how to get it to stand. We argued but came up with a plan and put it into action. I should mention that we won the challenge partly due to the fact that Im not a LOSER! I get the job done.....
Anyway, maybe it was just the class. The 9g is always lazy, even with games sometimes. Some of them maybe just didnt really think about it all that much. I realize now that competition and games in class is not something they are used to. Some of them like it, others are just like "blah"
Ill see how it goes in the other classes.....
Speakin of the 9g class, they showed their asses again yest. Well mostly just one boy who shall remain nameless. They have a test next week and they have to write an essay. I was doing tips on how to weite a good essay and brought in an example so we could analyze it and told them to practice writing an opinion essay. Well one kid just decided he was above doing anything and he really pissed me off. I had to show him who the BOSS was. I told him to do his work, or leave the class. HE started writing for like 2 minutes then stopped. So I told him instead of answering the question given, he could write on why he thinks he doesnt have to do work in my class. He holds his book up and says he wrote something. There had to be like 4 lines on the paper. Something that usually happen. The students sometimes think that if they write a few words, then thats good enough (quality over quantity is not poopin over here). So I told him on the test he had to write at least 3 paragraphs, and what he wrote was not enough. He said he couldnt think of anything else.
Ok well let me help you. I wrote 5 extra questions on the board and told him to pick which one he wanted to answer. As a matter fact, why dont you just bang them all out is what I said. When you finish with one, move to the next question. I better see your pen moving til the bell rings. The room fell quiet and everyone looked confused. I announced to the class that they should all be writing and not talking til the bell rings and not a second sooner. I know they all thought I was the bitch of the century.
But what they dont realize, and what Ive said PLENTY of times before, is that when they looked bored, and dont do work in class, it makes me want to give them more work. I am naturally combative and when they think they can just sit in class and do nothing, I make sure they KNOW, that shit AINT going down in my class. They need to skip/not come to my class if they plan to do nothin. The year is not over yet and they need to understand that. Its funny too, cuz I actually planned to do fun activities and games til the end of the year. It makes no sense to learn anything new cuz we have finished the textbook. So im thinkin we could do some games, speaking activities and such. But the way they actin, it looks like writing assignments, dictations and boring stuff. I wish they would just learn to do their work.
Silly rabbits......Im clearly campaigning to NOT teach this class next year. I will NOT have it!!! The majority of them dont like to do work, and I WILL NOT fight with them the entire year cuz they are not doing their work. Im SO OVER IT.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment