Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Semi-Fun Weekend

On Saturday there was a party for some other volunteers. I went to chill with Amanda and some of them. We ended up at a pub with a table full of volunteers that I had never met nor even seen before. I told Amanda I would chill with her, but after a while I started to get irritated. Everyone was drinkin beer, and socializing and honestly, I just wasnt feelin the scene. Lincoln came thru and we talked for a bit. My site mate (the guy that lives in the same city as me....oh and I find it quite funny that I hung out with him in Sofia but never actually in the town we live in together) was there too. But again, it just wasnt my thing. Geeyah (my Bulgarian friend) came thru and we bounced. We hit up a bar, then some hip-hop clubs. I was again surprised with how many black people I saw.

Ive come to realize that maybe Im puttin too much emphasis on me being black here. Granted I grew up in Harlem with mad black folks, then went to a predominately white shcool. And most of the programs I have done, I have .been the ONLY if not one of the few people in the mix. So naturally I get excited when I see someone that looks like me. But I dont think others see it that way. I generally try to be nice when Im in the club and see other black people. I try to say hello or ask where they are from. But most of the guys are only interested in gettin ass (and you KNOW thats not happenin) from me or every other Bulgarian chick in the club.

I tried to have this convo with Geeyah who tried to check me and say that it shouldnt matter. I should try to make friends with everyone not just black people. And while that has some truth to it, lets be honest, unless Bulgarians are really adventurous, can speak english, or just plain nosey/curious about me, they can be quite rude to me and no one can tell me its NOT cuz im black. Why the hell would I want to socialize with people like that. And as I tried to explain to her, there is nothing like being able to talk to someone who knows how you feel or has experienced what you have. It makes you feel like its not just you, and you can take comfort in the fact that someone can relate to you. And frankly thats the only reason why I like to meet other black people here. Thats just how I feel about it and no one can tell me different.

Anyway, ill post some pics from this weekend. It was pretty fun (except all the people who were all hugged up and lovey dovey with each other) and I took some good pics!

1 comment:

Jordan said...

i don't think you put too much emphasis on being black. it's part of who you are. i mean... it's no different than me relating to people who are from the south. we generally have similar values and a better understanding of each other, culturally speaking. that doesn't mean you can't get along with other people... you just generally gravitate towards people you deem similar to yourself.

another example would be when i told you that i wanted you to visit me in atlanta b/c there are some really cool clubs there but it's all black people, and i would be intimidated. when you're completely out of your element (and something/someone is sitll kind of "taboo" or just new) it can be uncomfortable.

at least you've met a few good people though. which, by the way... wouldn't geeyah be "gia?" :)