Monday, February 9, 2009

Bulgarians



So what does this look like to you? I hope most of you said a box, cuz thats what it is. And we know this. How? Cuz as a society, we have named it such and recognize it as a box no matter what shape/size/color it is. It simply is a box.

BUT metaphorically what is it? Ill tell you what is so you can follow where I am about to go with this post. It is a way of thinking. Inside the box is the regular stuff that we think of together with others. So for example how to make a hamburger. The "in the box" way woudl be to say to shape beef into a round ball then cook it in a pan in oil, put it between two buns along with tomotoes, pickles and ketchup. BUT for those chefs who put a spin on the classic idea of the hamburger and thought "OUTSIDE THE BOX" may not use beef. They may use chicken. What if you put mustard and pickles on the hamburger. What if its a Veggie burger. What if its not between 2 buns and so on and so on.

The reason I am writing this is to point of those Bulgarians and others for that matter who do no "THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX." And while this does not pertain to all Bulgarians, if damn sure speaks to the majority of the ones I have met. They just CANT seem to think outside of the box and it really bothers me!

So a few examples of this are last weekend. I went with one of the English teachers at my school to a seminar onplanning projects in the community. On the invitation, it said we should be at the hotel after 2 PM. Other than that there ws no DEFINITE time we had to be there. So my counterparts husband drove us to the seminar which was 3 hours away from where I lived. We got to the hotel about 1:45 no lie. So we are in the car and she seriously turns to me and says what should we do? We are 15 minutes early, do you think we can go in? So Im thinkin to myself is she joking? What does she mean we cant go in. So we decide to see if we can check in now, and walk inside. We see some PC staff members and ask them can we check in some other small talk. So they say of course yall can check in. So as we are walkin back to the car, my counterpart says, Im gald we can check in now cuz if not we would've had to wait in the car becuz we were 15 minutes early.

Ok, so then we were in one of the sessions and we were split up in groups. So write down some things that we hoped to learn from the seminar (after the facilitators had already introduced what the seminar was for and what we would be doing). So my counterpart turns to me and says can she copy what I wrote cuz she has NO IDEA what to write. *blank stare* Before the seminar even began we had to turn in project ideas and when I asked her if she had any ideas, she flat out told me she had none and that basically I had to come up with my own idea.

And granted the seminar example might be different, but I swear Bulgarians are just so linear. They never can think big, or "OUTSIDE THE BOX" or be creative. And I suppose I could use my students as an example to further this notion of mine. They are so friggin stupid! They are so UN-CREATIVE and lazy and usually cant think for themselves. They have been learning english longer than I have been learning bulgarian, so its a mystery to me that most of them cant communicate with me or even understand what the hell im saying. If I wanted to say something but couldnt think of the word for exactly what I was thinkin, I would try to use others words that I know to describe what I tryin to say or get them to understand my point using the words that I do know. You think Bulgarian students do that. NO! Oh and my favorite. They will say an English word incorrectly, but through the context I pretty much understand what they are saying. You think that happens with me. NO! Ill say a word and becuz the pronunciation is a bit off they cant understand SHIT that im saying. I mean come on folks, can we use some sense?!?!

How you teach someone to be creative? Its damn near impossible. But I try all the time. Ill have them do different assignments and tell them "use your imagination" and ill give more points to the project that is more creative.....damn these dumb asses (not you Alex)!

3 comments:

Aleks S said...

haha 10x :D but u know its dif. for every1...for some ppl others may think that they r thinkin "outside of the box" but for u maybe its "in the box" i dont even know what i am tryin to tell but the main point is that what is creative for u may not be creative for them ... :D

Shaun said...

alex i consider you to be pretty smart. so i think you can understand this. YOU know how simple minded bulgarians can be. the students never wanna work, never want to go anywhere. Isnt that one of the reasons why you wanna study abroad and why most of the girls in your class arent even thinkin about college at all? I know there are different types of creativity, but on a very basic and general level, most of the bulgarians that I know cant even fathom anything other than their lives, or what they do everyday. damn u alex!

Aleks S said...

well the reason i wanna go and study somwhere else is bcs i wanna travel i want to improve myself and i really wanna "use" so much things that bulgaria just cant offer aand the other thing is that if someone graduates in bg and compared to the diploma of person who graduated in Uk for e.g. the bulgarian boy/girl wont have a chance....and yes not all of my claasm8s consider stidying after graduation and for me that is "in the box" people not using their potencial(i think i didnt spell the word right)!