I usually try to keep up with the news happening in the US and around the world thru CNN and the internet. I just read a very interesting piece on yahoo news about this Madoff guy. He was denied bail and sent back to prison after he pleaded guilty to 11 charges that included theft, perjury and money laundering. According to the article "The scheme evaporated life fortunes, wiped out charities and apparently pushed at least two investors to commit suicide. Victims big and small were swindled by Madoff, from elderly Florida retirees to actors Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick and Nobel Peace Prize winner Elie Wiesel."
Thats some ole BUllshit right there....
Anyway, Madoff faces up to 150 years in prison, even tho he is 70 and probably wont even do a sufficient amount of time that will appease any of his victims. His "I am deeply sorry and ashamed" has DEFINATELY come too little too late, and I for one hope this man gets the maximum.
Ive always found it so interesting how "white-collar crimes", such as fraud, bribery and insider trading has always got slaps on the wrist, while you could get caught with possession of like a vile of crack and get like 20 years in jail. I suppose because blue-collar crimes include force, and injured people, then its different. And also, blue-collar crimes occur way more frequently. The law as to catch up to computer crimes and insider trading, cuz when the laws were made, these things didnt exist.
But why should a stock broker get several months or probation from stealing a clients money as opposed to someone who breaks into your home and steals your TV. Aren't they both theft? Aren't there both victims who have gotten something taken away?
I suppose the law is cracking down on certain things these days. The fact that Madoff stole almost $65 billion from his victims is wayyyyyyyyyy different then if I stole say $10,000 from someone (altho that shouldnt be an excuse). And also I think people are realizing the effects that these things have on people. Folks lost EVERYTHING they owned in this lil scheme he had going. Pensions, retirement packages, all folks had left after working their asses off for years and years.......And I know you all remember Martha Stewart. Yeah she got the short end of the stick by doing several months in prison (and I use that term VERY lightly), but that who gave her the tip got like 6 years in prison.
This whole thing is a bunch of foolishness. Money makes people THAT crazy that you gotta steal it from others. And $65 Billion. What the hell could he possibly have done on NEEDED with ALL that money? He is 70 for heaven's sake. Was he buying gold/diamond encrusted diapers for him and his wife?
Again, 150 years is lookin like a just desert for this guy........un huh, deeply sorry and ashamed I got CAUGHT is what his ass really meant!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment