So let me just say, teaching english in THIS country has lost its luster LONG time ago. Altho I honestly have some good moments, lately they are been few and far in between. I feel like this situation is really killin my spirit cuz im always somewhat upset or sad when I go to work.
So today I had the 10g, and they USED to be my fav class. I would brag about how smart they are and how I loved to teach them to BUL when they would ask how I liked it here. But now, some of them MOFOs is on my shit list! The first half of the class today just really gets on my nerves, and all I can do really is shake my head in defeat.
We were going on some passages from Gulliver's Travels. Now normally the texts we read in class arent TOO difficult, except for vocabulary. But the book was written so long ago, and uses vocab that is out of date, so I KNEW they wouldnt be able to understand the passage we were reading. And plus the other half of the class is ahead them and they didnt understand SHIT when we went over it together last week.
So I decided we would read the pass together, then discuss the meaning almost line by line cuz it was really hard for them. OFCOURSE, this half of the class KNOWS EVERYTHING. So we begin the pass and when I say they was lookin so DISINTERESTED, I could have swore they read the entire book front to back. They looked so bored, and like I was sayin something they already knew. But its mighty funny that after each line I would ask what it meant and the room was DEAD silent.
So since they KNOW EVERYTHING, I said ok cool, after this line yall can read the text by yallselves (thats not a word). So one girl just busts out this HUGE sigh of relief, like she was bout to die if I went on explaining another line. They read the text by themselves. and low and behold, they DONT UNDERSTAND SHIT! The chick who was bored to death and sighed said aloud, "oh teacher, I didnt understand anything" So ofcourse we wit my smart mouth goes, I knew that. I TOLD yall from jump the text was hard, but yall wasnt payin attention and wanted to read it alone. So she says well the first few lines that we reviewed, I understood everything. Mighty funny tho that when I asked the class what was going on, BLANK STARES!
So Im flamin mad at this point. We done wasted time cuz they think they so damn smart. Class ends. I go to the teachers room and ask someone what grades I will have to teach next year, and she says probably the same students as now. And you should have seen my face drop cuz I wasnt wit it! She asked why and I said I didnt want to teach them. They are rude, lazy, never want to work and just plain uninterested in learning anything. I feel like this is a waste of time. And further more, the 9g and 19g have STOPPED coming to the extracurricular activity courses before and after school. I could be spending that extra time sleeping, but I wake up and go to the school and wait for the students to come, and NO ONE SHOWS UP!
So this heifer says to me "well thats how they are with all the teachers"
BITCH that didnt help me! It didnt make me FEEL BETTER. It just made me think even more why the hell the school applied for a volunteer when the students are horrible and make me feel like shit sometimes. Seriously, there are places in Africa and South America where the students are extra thirsty to learn english. Here, NO. They just dont give a shit. And its so sad cuz the kids generally dont seem like they even aspire to anything.
I really am at the point where I am ready to go home. I did not come here to deal with snot-nosed lazy ass kids who dont want to learn. I left my family and friends to come here for what? To come to school everyday WAITING PATIENTLY for students to show up so I can HELP THEM with their english, just to have no one come? or to go to work everyday and stand in front of an unappreciative bunch of kids who could care less about learning? Hell to the nah. I am seriously thinkin bout how the next year will go, if it will go at all......
But on a high note, I bought this cute new jacket and wore it today wit my stunna shades. I surely was the talk of the town......
ok, im back to bein sad....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
awwww. i'm sorry the situation is slowly deteriorating. especially the 10g class -- i know you liked them. i talked to amanda for a minute, and i really think that your main goal is just to FINISH the two years!! with so many people being admin sep'd or dropping out... and the day to day dissapointments... you should be proud to have simply lasted this long! i know that is not necessarily going to light up your life or anything... but at least this school year is almost finished and then you're half way there. those little brats will be stuck in their lameass lives forever b/c they were too immature and short-sighted to take advantage of a good opportunity when they had one!
first--i just got caught up on your blog and it made my day. hilarious!
second--i totally hear you on this. i also hate teaching here and have decided that survival is the name of the game at this point. these kids don't give a shit and i am not gonna fix that. hang in, i'm right there with ya. almost spring break!
Post a Comment