Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Martenitsa


In Bulgaria, there is a holiday celebrated called Baba Marta. The symbol of the holiday is called Martenitsa. It is usually red and white, and is given to someone to wish you health, good luck and to throw away evil spirits. It is celebrated March 1st and people give each other bracelets, necklaces, and pins. They are made from yarn and also can take the shape of people, zodiac signs, and other things. Its quite cute. My colleagues and students gave me many bracelets and I have them stored at home. I am not supposed to take the bracelets off until I see a stork, which means Spring is coming soon. After you see a stork, you can take the Martenitsa off and hang it in a tree.
The Martenitsa on the left is in the shape of a woman holding some miscellaneous thing (the lady who gave it to me told me what it was in Bulgarian but I dont know the english word for it) and the one on the right is a random Martenitsa. I have 3 bracelets and also one on my coat.

1 comment:

Aleks S said...

i wear only one while years ago i used to look like a christmas tree with all those martenitsi i wore.... and if i knew i was commin to ur house i was gonna bring one for u :) and its not just a stork u can see a bird thats commin from the worm countries or a flowered tree (i think its flowered whatevz)..and its Christiano Ronaldo hahaha